家姐惊醒过来，原来是一场梦。这个梦来得很巧合：来年就是俞自锋逝世50周年。俞自锋的灵魂在亲人的梦中出现必定有所嘱托。它唤起家人的关注也改变了我们几十年的思维：俞自锋的死可是不是一件冤案？家属决定：深入探索俞自锋死亡的真相。 真相只有一个，它早应该在死亡事件发生后的近期内呈现，但实事并非如此。没有真相，当局的“自杀身亡”论无法令人口服心服、没有真相，亡者无法安息、没有真相，留台生的人身安全哪有得到保障、没有真相，俞自锋护照上书明的文 句 ： “ …… and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.”将传为国际笑柄。
Preamble Yu Zi Feng ( 俞自锋）from Penang, Malaysia began his journalism study at National Chengchi University (NCCU), Taiwan（台湾国立政治大学）in September 1962. On 27 July 1963, the family received news from the Taiwan authorities that Yu Zi Feng died by committed suicide and the deceased was being buried. No further information about the death was made available to the family, not even the date and time of the death, nor the cause of his death and the place where he was buried.
Refused To Disclose Burial Ground The family visited NCCU and the Overseas Chinese Affairs Council (OCAC) (侨务委员会）in November 1979 and again in May 2013 with the hope of offering prayer to the deceased. Unfortunately in both occasions they refused to disclose where the deceased was buried.
A Miracle The deceased tomb was miraculously discovered on 26th September 2013, 50 years and 62 days after his death. On 25th March 2014, the family came to know the cause of his death. It was “shock to death due to intrathoracic hemorrhage” (胸腔内出血休克致死 ).
Committed Suicide – A Blatant Lie The family carried out an inquiry into the mysterious death. The following are the findings :
(1) The deceased’s body was “discovered” at 5:50 am on 26th July 1963; it was moved to the funeral parlour for burial on the same day.
(2) The family received a telegram from NCCU at about 4.00 pm on 27th July, more than 30 hours after the body was “discovered”. The telegram stated Yu Zi Feng died by committed suicide.
(3) Six hours after receiving the bad news, at 10:00 pm the same day, the family received a telegram from OCAC. It stated the deceased was being buried.
(4) The Taiwan authorities did not consult the family about the final ritual for the deceased but decided to bury the dead hastily, even before the family knew the deceased had died.
(5) The deceased was a boarder at the University; the dormitory has strict surveillance under the then martial law. According to press report he was seen loitering near Zhinan Temple （指南宫）in the wee hour at 4:00 am on 26th July 1963. About 2 hours later, he was “discovered” dead about 20 meter below a cliff.
(6) The family offered prayer to the deceased at the burial ground on 31st October 2013 for the first time. It was then that the family accepted the fact that Yu Zi Feng had died. The family sought clarification from NCCU and OCAC over the alleged “committed suicide”. The authorities gave nonsensical reasons such as there were no records related to the case; all relevant documents had been destroyed; the case had exceeded the time bar and no legal action, civil or criminal is available to the family; the persons handling the case had died etc. etc. There was no much progress since then.
(7) The deceased body was “discovered” at 5:50 am on 26th July. Based on the press report he would have died between 4:00 am and 5:50 am. The cause of his death was “shock to death due to intrathoracic hemorrhage”. Medical opinion is: if enough pressure is applied to the chest wall, it will cause internal chest organ contusion, muscle and bone fracture, lung rupture, pleural tear etc. , resulting in intrathoracic bleeding and death. The family suspected foul play and requested for an investigation but in vain.
(8) The family requested the Taiwan authorities to issue death certificate of the deceased ; however, they refused to do so, citing relevant documents had been destroyed.
(9) OCAC was fully aware that the deceased was buried at Liu Zhang Li（六張犁墓園）as they were the one who applied for the burial permit. Yet they refused to disclose the burial ground to the family who first visited them in November 1979 and again in May 2013.
(10) The family was informed in September 2020 that Yu Zi Feng case has been cloaked in secrecy for a further period of 10 years. The family have also been requested to comply with the rules of secrecy.
To die is to die with dignity and with due respect. Yu Zi Feng’s death was neither treated with dignity nor with due respect.
NCCU and OCAC owe the family of the deceased an apology for the deliberate cover-up of the death of Yu Zi Feng.